A total of 2,274 educational institutions have been closed over their allged or real links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which is accused of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016, according to Education Minister İsmet Yılmaz.

Speaking to the state-run Anadolu news agency, Yılmaz said that the fight against Gülenists will continue until “the danger is eliminated to the last.”

“848 of the closed institutions were private dormitories. Including these, we have so far closed down 2,274 schools so far,” Yılmaz said.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others.

Immediately after the putsch the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen group.

Fethullah Gülen, the leader of the group, denied having any role in the failed coup, but President Erdoğan and his government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 civil servants, including governors, judges, prosecutors, teachers, soldiers and police, since July 15 through government decrees issued as part of the state of emergency.

 

Related News