At least four people have already committed suicide for being investigated over ByLock mobile app that they had never downloaded, according to human rights defender Omer Faruk Gergerlioglu.
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Wednesday stated that 11,480 GSM users were found to have been involuntarily directed to mobile phone application ByLock and that the legal status of the such mobile phone users would be re-evaluated. The prosecutor also demanded release of at least 1000 people imprisoned over false ByLock charges.
However, four of those 11,480 people have already committed suicide, Gergerlioglu said in his column on Dec 29.
“4 people were dismissed from their positions on the false ground that they had had ByLock on their mobile phone. They did not know what to do and committed suicide. Are you now going to tell them: ‘You happen to have not downloaded ByLock. You committed suicide for nothing’?” Gergerlioglu said.
Turkish authorities believe ByLock is a communication tool among Gülenists, accused by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government of orchestrating a failed coup last year. The group denies involvement.
Tens of thousands of people, including civil servants, police officers, soldiers, businessmen and homemakers, have either been dismissed or arrested for using ByLock since a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016.