The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has issued an arrest warrant for academic Henri Barkey, director of the Middle East Program at the Washington-based Wilson Center, for being behind the Gezi protests of 2013, the corruption operations of Dec. 17-25 in 2013 and a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016, the pro-government Star daily reported on Saturday.

According to the report the detention warrant for Barkey was issued as part of an investigation that includes businessman and civil activist Osman Kavala and US Consulate General employee Metin Topuz. Kavala and Topuz were arrested last month for “attempting to abolish the constitutional order and attempting to remove the government of the Turkish Republic.”

Based on the investigation Star claimed that Barkey is a CIA agent and had met with suspects in all the murky events in Turkey and abroad. Barkey has met many times with Kavala, but Kavala failed to remember and declined to confirm the meetings.

“According to the investigation Henri Barkey organized and coordinated the coup attempt during a meeting on Istanbul’s Büyükada on 15-16 July, 2016,” the report said.

“Barkey left a bell reading ‘Pennsylvania’ [the US state where Fethullah Gulen lives] with the hotel receptionist when he left Büyükada Hotel on July 17.”

In February, Barkey said that many generals purged by the Turkish government are pro-NATO and pro-American, saying this could create a shift in Turkey-NATO relations.

In April, the İstanbul chief public prosecutor launched an investigation into 17 prominent US figures including Senator Chuck Schumer, former US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara, former CIA Director John Brenan and Barkey for alleged links to the Gülen movement.

According to reports, the investigation is based on allegations of “attempting to overthrow the constitutional order” and “attempting to overthrow the government and Parliament.”

The prosecutor has started to investigate the details of a meeting of some of the “suspects” on İstanbul’s Büyükada on July 15 and in Karaköy on July 17, 2016, the reports said.

This article originally appeared in Turkish Minute on Nov 11.