The Belgian police have found out that part of the threats targeting Turkish journalists in 2016 were made on computers at the Turkish embassy in Brussels.

A recent police investigation has shown that at least one of the threatening social media messages received by Turkish journalists Mete Ozturk and Riza Dogan in July and September 2016 had been sent from a computer at the Turkish embassy in Brussels, the Brussels-based daily newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws reported Friday.

Meanwhile, another intimidating message was sent by a former press officer at the embassy, the newspaper said. “We are working to find out about your caves!” the press officer allegedly told Dogan via social media back in 2016.

All traitors face the same fate as the coup plotters, said one of the messages sent to Ozturk, the former editor of the Turkish daily Zaman’s Dutch edition.

Turkish government shuttered Zaman over its links to the Gulen movement which is blamed for the July 15, 2016 failed coup.

The movement denies involvement.

Turkish government’s ‘Global Purge’ targeted opponents in at least 46 countries: report
Int’l bar association calls on Turkey to stop persecution of legal professionals

Related News