Detention warrants were issued for leading opposition newspaper, Sozcu’s publisher, two executives and one reporter over Gulen links, on Friday.
Publisher Burak Akbay, reporter Gokmen Ulu as well as executives Melda Olgun and Yonca Kaleli are accused of making propaganda on behalf of the Gulen movement, which the government pinned the blame on for the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.
According to Turkish media, police carried out search of the suspects’ homes on early Friday as part of an Istanbul-based investigation into the Gulen movement.
Akbay’s lawyer Celal Ulgen told Odatv that police entered Akbay’s place with the help of locksmith. He also said the investigation was launched long ago and that 6 prosecutors have been already changed so far within the probe. Only the latest prosecutor sought detainment of his client as former prosecutors were not able find any reason for such a decision, Ulgen said.
Turkish government has already jailed more than 230 journalists and closed down over 150 media outlets in the aftermath of the coup attempt.