The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) has rejected an application against Turkish authorities’ failure to conduct a proper investigation regarding the disappearance of Yusuf Bilge Tunç, who went missing over a year ago and is feared to have been abducted by Turkish intelligence.

According to Turkish Journalist Sevinç Özarslan, the ECtHR said an investigation is being conducted by the Turkish authorities to figure out the whereabouts of the missing man.

Tunç disappeared in Ankara on August 6, 2019 in broad daylight, leaving no trace behind. His father Mustafa Tunç earlier said neither the police nor the prosecutor had cooperated with the family in finding their son.

Tunç’s car was found in a remote area 45 days after he vanished from Ankara’s GİMAT shopping mall. His family immediately called the police; yet the police showed no real interest in his disappearance. “The police only conducted a crime scene investigation six months after we found the car and contacted them,” said Mustafa Tunç. “We had already removed the car from where we found it, so the investigation was really a formality.”

Although the family was afraid he had been abducted, the police dismissed their fears, saying: “He might have fled and left his car behind. Take a look at the CCTV footage. He will return.”

Tunç worked in Turkey’s Undersecretariat for the Defense Industry, the government agency responsible for defense procurement, and he was summarily fired with an executive decree after a July 15, 2016 coup attempt.