Three female military cadets who have been sentenced to life in prison over alleged involvement in the 2016 coup attempt, have shared the first photo since the beginning of their prison sentences in July 2016.

Nagihan Yavuz, Nimet Ecem Gönüllü, and Şuheda Sena Öğütalan are three air force cadets who were arrested after a coup attempt on July 15, 2016. In 2018, they were given life sentences on charges of attempting to overturn the constitutional order and attempting to overthrow the Turkish government and parliament by use of force as well as membership in a terrorist organization.

They were 17-year-old on the night of the coup attempt. They said they had no information about a coup attempt unfolding and were acting on orders from their superiors, who told them there was a terrorist attack.

Along with them, at least 355 other cadets have been given life sentences on coup charges so far.

The military coup attempt killed 355 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the abortive putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen group. The group denies any involvement.

Letter by mother of military cadet who got life on coup charges calls on Erdogan’s wife to speak out