An Antalya man is being treated for superficial burns after setting himself alight in front of the Antalya governor’s office on Wednesday.
The 55-year old man named Metin Sürücü, doused himself in petrol and set himself alight after he was denied a meeting with deputy governor Canan Hançer Baştürk.
Sürücü told media that he was a “victim” of an ongoing purge against Turkey’s Gülen group, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt last year in July.
The purge-victim said that tried to reach the deputy governor for almost 20 times and his efforts remained futile.
“Tomorrow, I am going to set myself on fire in front of the president’s house,” the man heard saying.
The military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the AKP government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen group and initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the group from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.
Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.