Muzaffer Özcengiz, a Turkish teacher who was jailed after a failed coup attempt in 2016 over his links to Turkey’s Gulen group, died of heart attack in a Çorum prison on Friday.
Tens of suspicious deaths have been reported since the failed coup attempt in 2016.
According to Mehmet Ali Aslan, a former pro-Kurdish deputy, Özcengiz has been held in solitary confinement for months: “Muzaffer Özcengiz, a former teacher who suffered from hypertension and diabetes, died of heart attack in solitary confinement in the Çorum prison. End the use of solitary confinement immediately!”
According to a report compiled by Turkey Purge editors, at least of 58 individuals, among which are police officers, prosecutors and teachers, have been found dead in Turkish prisons since a failed coup attempt on July 15,2016, causing serious concern about the fate of thousands of civilians who have been kept in jail in very poor conditions across the country.
Tecrit'de hücrede ölüm !
Yüksek tansiyon ve şeker hastası eski öğrtmen Muzaffer Özcengiz Çorum c.evinde kalp krizi sonucu tek kisilik hücrede ölü bulundu.
— Mehmet Ali ASLAN (@HemmedAliAslan) April 27, 2019
The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide, shedding doubt on the official narrative. Rumors also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.
Here are some of the most controversial deaths and related stories:
- Segvan Yaman – Pro-Kurdish DBP member – July 18
- Hasan Hayri Alp – Leftist activist – July 19
- Mutlu Çil – police officer – July 20
- Levent Önder – lieutenant colonel – July 22
- İsmail Çakmak – lieutenant colonel – July 23
- Mustafa Törer – BUsinessman -July 28
- Vedat Savlu – Businessman, August 2
- Gökhan Açıkkollu- Math teacher – August 5
- Ahmet Beşli – poliçe chief – August 10
- Ömer Çubuklu – prison guard – September 1
- Mustafa Güneyler – teacher – September 2
- Bedih Kurucan – civilian – September 9
- Seyfettin Yiğit – prosecutor – September 16
- Cigehun AKdeniz – civilian – September 2
- Seyit Rıza Şaban – civilian – September 28
- Önder Irmak – noncommissioned officer, October 10
- Dursun Kaynar – civilian — October 13
- Mehmet Ali İnal – civilian – October 20
- İrfan Kızılarslan – Gendarmerie Commander – November 5
- Zehra Epli – civilian – November 7
- Burak Açıkalın – engineer – November 8
- Muharrem Bahçivan – civilian – November 11
- Mehmet Emin Doğan – civilian – November 18
- Behçet Emdi – teacher – November 19
- Ünal Takmaklı – businessman – November 29
- Beytullah Akil – Kurdish civilian – December 11
- Hakan Ekinci – civilian – December 23
- Mehmet İnam – dentist – January 5
Here is a detailed report of those who died in Turkish prisons since July 15, 2016: