Ankara Public prosecutor’s office has been investigating 50 to 60 businessmen who are suspected of having withdrawn from the country’s stock exchange just before a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

According to pro-government Yeni Safak daily, the businessmen in question “extraordinarily” sold off all their shares at the country’s stock exchange in a week before the July 15, 2016 failed putsch.

Without naming any of such businessmen, the daily said the suspects include some from the Jewish community and international corporations’ Turkey branches.

Over the past year, the prosecutor’s office has asked the Capital Markets Board (SPK) to look into suspicious transactions in four separate requests. While SPK has yet to document such moves, the daily said, leading the prosecutor to file a final request, dated Dec 11, 2017, to check out whether there were any “remarkable” move in the shares of the publicly-listed companies.

The final request asks the board to cover the period before the Dec 17-25, 2013 and July 15, 2016.

Turkish government blames the Gulen movement for the 2016 failed coup while the latter denies involvement.

Nearly 150,000 people have passed through custody while 60,000 of them were remanded in prison over Gulen links so far.

Subscription to Gulen-affiliated publications, membership to unions deemed to be linked to the group, having an account at Bank Asya, sending children to schools which were later closed over ties to the movement, and even attendance in the protests the government’s seizure of Gulenist media outlets were considered evidence of affiliation to the group.

Related News