A total of 16,409 students have been sacked from military schools as part of the the government’s post-coup purge, according to National Defense Minister Fikri Işık.

“4,090 students from military high schools; 6,140 students from non-commissioned officer colleges; and 6,179 undergraduate students (those from Turkish military academy, naval academy, air force academy, Gulhane military medical academy, and the military high schools and faculties of nursing) make up 16,409 individuals who were removed from military student status,” Işık said in his response to a parliamentary question submitted by a main opposition deputy.

Işk also said a total of 6,511 people have been dismissed from Turkish military including tens of generals, sergeants and soldiers.

According to information Cumhuriyet obtained from the Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office last week, another 90,000 military members are likely to face investigation over their links to the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt, according to Cumhuriyet daily.