The Turkish government has been using emergency rule to suppress the dissident groups instead of “fighting the coup plotters,” the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Chairman Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu said.
According to a report by the Hurriyet daily news on Tuesday, Kılıçdaroğlu also slammed the ruling Ak Party’s recent decision to extend the state of emergency for the sixth time.
“The state of emergency will be extended one more time. The parliament has long been bypassed. They [the government] told me they were planning to use the state of emergency for a very short period when they first declared it,” Kılıçdaroğlu said, recalling his conversation with Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım in the aftermath of the coup attempt on July 15, 2016.
The Deputy Prime Minister and government spokesman Bekir Bozdağ announced on Jan. 8 that Turkey’s post-coup emergency rule will be extended for another three months. The extension will be the sixth since the State of Emergency was first declared in the aftermath of the July 15, 2016 failed coup.
The extension will be on the agenda during the next National Security Council meeting, Bozdag told reporters Tuesday.
Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch the ruling AK Party government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen group.
The group denies any involvement.
Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Dec. 12 that 55,665 people had been jailed and 234,419 passports revoked as part of investigations into the Gülen movement since the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.
Soylu on Nov. 16 had said 48,739 people had been jailed and eight holdings and 1,020 companies seized as part of operations against the movement.
The Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 169,013 people have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.
Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 judges, teachers, police and civil servants since July 15, 2016 through government decrees issued as part of an ongoing state of emergency.