Pro-gov’t journalist calls for killing of Turkish businessman and individuals like him who he accused of being top Gulenists.
Pro-government Turkish journalist Emre Erciş has called on Turkey’s intelligence agency to abduct or exterminate critical businessman Akın İpek and other top Gulenists following a court verdict in the UK that rejected Ankara’s request for his extradition.
Posting a series of tweets shortly after the ruling, the Turkish journalist said that if the rule of law closes off all other avenues, there is only one way left to bring back to Turkey Ipen and other fugitive people in FETO’s hierarchical structure who are involved in terrorist activities.
“First, find his location just like MOSSAD or the CIA, then abduct him if you can, or exterminate him if you cannot render him back to Turkey,” Erciş said.
On Wednesday a London court denied Turkey’s extradition request on the grounds that the case was politically motivated and that suspects face ill treatment in Turkey’s prisons.
Turkey has accused Ipek of a range of crimes, from financial fraud to financing terrorism, due to his links to Gülen. The regime in Turkey considers Gülen to be the mastermind of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016 in which 249 civilians were killed.
In reaction to the UK judgment, Erciş wrote: “The UK denied the extradition request of a Gülen network executive Akın İpek. This is not the first time the UK has protected a terrorist.”
According to the pro-government reporter, who is believed to have insider information from Turkey’s intelligence organization, that rejection creates legitimacy for abduction or extermination.
Twitter deleted the journalist’s tweets following complaints, Ercis later said.
Turkish government accuses Gulen movement of masterminding the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt and calls it FETO, short for alleged Fethullahist Terrorist Organization. The movement denies involvement and any terror activities.
More than 220,000 people have been detained and 90,000 were remanded in prison over Gulen links in Turkey since the summer of 2016. Meanwhile, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on foreign governments to punish Gulenists in their own countries.
So far, a number of countries like Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Georgia and Myanmar handed over academics, businessmen and school principals upon the Turkish government’s request despite the fact that some of those victims already had refugee status with the United Nations.
According to Turkish government’s narrative, MIT conducts such operations by itself in some countries and brings the suspects back without involvement of any other foreign law enforcement.
In March, this year, Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) abducted six Turkish nationals, one doctor and five educators, working for a group of schools affiliated with the Gülen movement in Kosovo and removed them to Turkey the same day. The abduction of the Turkish nationals sparked a political crisis in Kosovo and Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj dismissed the interior minister along with the secret service chief. Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch (HRW) lamented the operation saying that the abductees would face the risk of torture and abuse in Turkey.
Turkey’s Presidential Spokesperson İbrahim Kalın said during a press conference in September that the Turkish government will continue its global manhunt against the followers of the Gulen movement stating that the operation could take place in the US as well.
Journalists as well as some Kurdish politicians are also reportedly at MIT’s target.